Stratio @ #MesosCon Europe

MesosCon Europe was held in Amsterdam from August 31 to September 2 and a small representation of Stratio’s crew was over there.

Benjamin Hindman’s opening keynote

Mesosphere’s Co-Founder & Chief Architect Benjamin Hindman broke the ice with the first keynote.

Stratio team at MesosCon Europe
Alberto Rodriguez and Andrés Macarrilla at MesosCon Europe

After talking about the mesos ecosystem’s growth within the last months, he explained the nested containerization model and the improvements in the Mesos resource allocation. He then introduced an African nonprofit organization called praekelt.org dedicated to using mobile technology to improve the lives of people living in poverty. A representative from the NGO explained how mesos and DC/OS are a perfect fit for its cluster provisioning. The NGO has to run quite a few clusters where 80% of the setup is identical for each cluster and the remaining 20% is different. They therefore get the most out of mesos and DC/OS by deploying these distinctive features separately. The representative was asked what the Mesos’ biggest deficiency is nowadays. He replied that they were struggling to find a persistence layer that fits their current needs (he pointed out that they are currently using GlusterFS as their persistence backend).